Feedback Thoughts

For this part of this weeks tasks we had to read two articles that discussed feedback. The first one that I read was How to Get Past Negativity Bias in Order to Hardwire Positive Experiences by Katrina Schwartz, I didn't really relate to it that much and couldn't see myself using the methods she suggested so I decided to move on to a different article. I myself like more straight to the point articles which is why I liked Seven Ways to Crush Self Doubt in Creative Work by John Spencer way more. In it he briefly goes through his experiences with self doubt in his work environment before listing the 7 ways to help with getting over Self Doubt. 

His 7 ways were:
1- Don't Compare Yourself to Others
2-Abandon Perfectionism 
3-Be Vulnerable to a Trusted Community 
4-Embrace a Growth Mindset 
5-Set Goals that are within your control
6-Treat Your Work Like an Experiment 
7- Trust Yourself 



I think most of the above are pretty straight forward just from reading them but if you want more information on each one click the link above, he also includes videos, which for me is a way more interesting way to pay attention. I liked how Growth Mindset was linked in with this article too and feel like it's going to continuously pop up in readings throughout the semester. 

The next article was written by Tim Herrera for the New York Times and is titled Why It's So Hard to Hear Negative Feedback. This article was short and straight to the point just like the previous one I read and I think it's advice everybody can use in their life easily. To sum it up Tim basically says - don't see it purely as a negative thing, take the feedback and use it as a way to improve yourself. 

The first type of feedback I can really remember is starting swimming lessons when I was in Primary School. We went every week and in the first week everybody would start off in the same lane, as you improved you got to move up a lane based on how good you were, without even realising it this was a type of feedback but there was nobody telling you how good or bad you were. 

When looking back at feedback I've been given myself I think I've gotten much better at receiving it. When I was younger in Primary School I used to get upset if teachers pointed out anything I could improve on but as I got older I learned it wasn't done from a bad place. In Secondary School for my Junior Cert Art Exam my teacher gave such good feedback throughout the year on ways we could all improve and I think it really helped me get better at receiving negative feedback. 

In Introduction to Digital Media last year we also received feedback from Shaun after each presentation for the missions we had. He would go through our grade with us and tell us ways we could have improved it that would have bumped up the grade. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Brief Introduction To a Life in Isolation

Game Design Document

Prototype