Beta

So in my Tutorial blog post for this week I spoke about trouble I had with certain elements of my game deleting. This included the sky, timer and coins disappearing. So my aim this week was to go back on the tutorials I had already completed and redo these steps.

What I completed this week: 

Creating Finish Line

Placing Obstacles 

Reintroducing Coins and Sky

What I tried to do but failed: 

Scoring System with Coin Collection Noise


Creating Finish Line

The first thing I completed this week was creating a finish line using a Unity Tutorial (this is my Unity Tutorial post for this week). It was very straightforward and took me probably less than an hour to get it functioning. One thing I do want to add to it is the texture a usual black/white finish line would have. When the player hits the finish line and completes the level the game automatically restarts the level.

Placing Obstacles

A few weeks ago I tried to create a Spawn Manager so my obstacles would randomly appear on screen but I just couldn't get it working. When I thought more about it I realised it wasn't 100% necessary for my game. My player only has to collect 10 coins so it isn't a very long course so instead I just placed each obstacle up to were my finish line is. 

Reintroducing Coins and Sky

I have spoke to a few people this week who have said that some elements of their games had also disappeared even though they had been saving continuously each week so I'm not sure what happened to be honest! Although the coins disappeared off the screen the CoinScript attached to it didn't delete. I thought it would be an easy fix so I just created a new coin and added the script to it but the game gave me an error message. I basically had to restart the whole thing again which was a pain and it took me way longer than I had hoped. The next thing was the sky - the sky I had been using cleared so I went back to the UnityAsset Store and reimported it but for some reason just wouldn't work so instead I imported new Asset Files for my sky. This part was easy!

So that's everything that I completed but now let's look at what didn't work out.


Image Information: Screenshot of Game


Scoring System with Coin Collection Noise

I do have a point system that displays under the Player in the hierarchy but I wanted to have one that was also visible on the players screen. I followed this tutorial that seemed pretty straightforward and looked exactly like what I wanted. I completed it and must have looked back through it at least five times because I just could not get it to work. Usually I find a fix when I run into these errors but I had absolutely no idea what needed to be done. 

Well that's pretty much it! The game is running pretty well and if there's anything else that I want to do it is try and introduce that if the player collides with any obstacles that the game ends. At the moment the player is able to navigate easily and pick up coins before they reach the finish line so there isn't that much challenge involved. 

Comments

  1. Hi Sean, I read your OG post about your game a few weeks ago and I loved your game! I still do it's such a good idea! I've commented a few times on your posts and I read all the posts up to this and wow, I'm impressed! It's obvious you've put a lot of work into the game! I really enjoy your writing because you describe everything really well. I would've never thought of a boat game, it's such a good idea! I love the idea of the obstacles, I tried to add some but it didn't work. Does anything happen when you hit the obstacle? Do you die or just keep going? I love the new sky! I really enjoyed it overall, I’m looking forward to it being completed and hopefully I will be able to play it! Best of luck! -Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sean wow your game looks great it is exactly like the drawings that you had at the very start when you decided to pick this game. I like how you described the game in a lot of detail and makes it feel that I'm playing the game without actually playing it. You originally had trees either side when I last seen it how come you decided to take them out? I think it actually looks better without them. just wondering how does the game end does the player go back to the start when something hits them or do they keep going? I hope that it works out for you Best of luck- Niamh

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Brief Introduction To a Life in Isolation

Game Design Document

Prototype